- Update your repo references - sudo apt-get update
- Install XFCE - sudo apt-get install xfce4
- Get a cup of tea, it will take a few minutes to install :)
- Install the VNC server - sudo apt-get install vnc4server
- Launch the VNC server - vncserver
- Enter a password, this will be required every time you try to log on to a VNC session.
- Kill the session we created - vncserver -kill :1
- Edit the VNC xstartup file - vi ~/.vnc/xstartup
- Your file should look like the following:
# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop: # unset SESSION_MANAGER # exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources xsetroot -solid grey vncconfig -iconic & x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" & startxfce4 &
- You are now ready to launch VNC, you can specify the resolution of the screen while launching - vncserver -geometry 1920x1080
- When you log in to the server using a VNC client (I recommend VNC viewer or Tight VNC) you should get the below:
|VNC session using the XFCE shell|
- Now you are ready to go! You can have multiple VNC sessions that are different resolutions for different devices.